Sunday, February 26, 2012

Gluten Free Mac and Cheese

I have been researching gluten intolerance for a while now. A few people I know have some digestive issues that seem to be a symptom of gluten. In my research I came across Celiac disease and started reading about the sypmtoms. I had assumed that Celiac disease was a very "obvious" disease and if you ate gluten you would basically, well, die! This isn't the case (I tend to be over dramatic). Anyways, as I started reading more about Celiac some of the symptoms started to point to my middle daughter. She has been struggling with Anemia for 6 months in spite of my efforts to feed her a healthy diet of iron rich veggies, meats and fruit. Anemia is a symptom of Celiac because of the lack of absorbtion that happens in the intestines. She is also very small- anywhere from 3-5 percentile on the growth chart. In 9 months she had only gained 3 oz. and didn't grow taller. I was puzzled and became increasingly worried about the anemia. Thankfully the Anemia doesn't seem to keep her from being an energetic 3 year old. Ok- I am getting of track. Long story short after some prayer and consideration of her syptoms we spoke to her pediatrician and had her tested for Ciliac. We are still anxiously waiting for the results but as I am waiting I am doing tons of research and trying out a few gluten free recipes. My biggest concern is that I can still feed my baby girl her favorite kid foods, like, Mac and Cheese.

I have recently been making mac and cheese from this recipe. It takes no time at all and is the perfect comfort food.

I adaptated it to be gluten free for my little P!

Gluten Free Mac and Cheese with Bacon- Because bacon makes everything better!

2 Cups Cooked Gluten Free Pasta
2 TBS Butter (I like salted for this recipe)
2 TBS Arrowroot powder
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Shredded Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 Cup **Frozen peas
3 Slices Uncured Cooked Bacon, Crumbled

1. Melt butter in sauce pan. Add arrowroot powder and whisk making a roux, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in noodles, bacon and peas.

**I usually add the peas to the boiling noodle water for the last minute.

The results speak for them self when my two girls gobble it up and ask for seconds and thirds! I was a happy mom and had a little hope that if we do have to be a gluten free family, at least I can make a kid favorite taste as yummy as the gluten filled dish they love. Follow this up with some peanut butter bars and you will have a happy tummy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment